Pages Menu

Posted by on Jul 22, 2016 in Market Insight, Peritus Asset Management

High Yield Market Default Update

By Heather Rupp, CFA, Director of Communications and Research Analyst for Peritus Asset Management, Sub-Advisor of the AdvisorShares Peritus High Yield ETF (NYSE Arca: HYLD)

As we stand today, default activity year-to-date has already surpassed the par default level for all of 2015.  However, the defaults remain almost entirely in the commodity sectors—Energy and Metals/Mining—while outside of these segments, default rates remain at or near record lows.  Energy and metals and mining together comprise about 20% of the market, so this leaves about 80% of the market where we continue to see a very benign default environment.  Putting numbers to this, JP Morgan is reporting a total par-weighted US high yield bond default rate of 4.7% (including distressed exchanges), but excluding commodities, this default rate falls to a mere 0.5%.1

As we have spoken about before, we see the double edged sword with energy—it is both an opportunity and a risk.  For the indexes, we are seeing a big spike and multi-year highs in defaults due to the high yield market’s large energy exposure.  But within the energy sub-segment, we also continue to see selective opportunities for investment and have been active in a number of names that we believe offer value and are positioned well, even in the current pricing environment and going forward.  While we would expect that we are nearing the peak on energy defaults and thus total default rates, we continue to expect default rates to remain elevated versus historical numbers as energy producers and service companies contend with low oil prices and we continue to caution investors that we believe an active approach, whereby the company’s fundamentals, hedging, breakeven points, and production location are assessed, is the best course of action for investment in this sector.

Then that leaves the remaining 80% of the high yield market.  While this market has had strong returns so far this year, we still believe there is room to run.  We believe the low default rate in this segment of the market is reflective of the generally solid fundamentals and reasonable capital structures we see for many of the issuers.  Again, we believe an active approach is still the way to operate in the broader high yield market as well, as you look at both a company’s fundamental prospects relative to the current bond price/yield level.  As we do this, we are seeing areas of value and real yield potential in the high yield market as we move forward.

1 Acciavatti, Peter, Tony Linares, Nelson R. Jantzen, CFA, Rahul Sharma, and Chuanxin Li.  “Credit Strategy Weekly Update,” J.P. Morgan North American Credit Research, July 15, 2016, p.1.

Although information and analysis contained herein has been obtained from sources Peritus I Asset Management, LLC believes to be reliable, its accuracy and completeness cannot be guaranteed. Information on this website is for informational purposes only. As with all investments, investing in high yield corporate bonds and loans and other fixed income, equity, and fund securities involves various risk and uncertainties, as well as the potential for loss. Past performance is not an indication or guarantee of future results.

The AlphaBaskets blog provides frequent market insight and commentary by AdvisorShares Investments, LLC, created by AdvisorShares and other leading active managers.  AdvisorShares Investments is an SEC-registered investment adviser and the investment adviser to the AdvisorShares actively managed ETFs. The views expressed on AlphaBaskets should not be taken as investment advice or a recommendation for any of the actively managed ETFs advised by AdvisorShares.